[Samba] smbfs mount error

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sun Nov 10 13:11:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, David Livingstone wrote:

>  Hello !
>
>  I am running samba-2.2.0a-0 on Suse 7.3 and attempting to use smbfs to mount a share on a
>  dos 6.x system running, pctcp + nebios + powerlan
>
>  When I attempt to mount the share ie in fstab
>
> //ARNLSPEC/E  /wheelspec/ARNL smbfs  noauto,debug=10,ip=192.168.80.101,workgroup=WORKGROUP 0 0
> 2862: tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRnosupport (Function not supported.)
> SMB connection failed

Support for such old servers is uncertain at best. What you can do is:

- Get a network trace (ethereal) of a windows machine connecting
  successfully (assuming they can) and compare with smbmount connecting.
- Check for even the smallest difference, upper case vs lower case, extra
  padding bytes etc
- Modify the samba source to send the exact same thing or try to make it
  do that by adding/changing options.

That said, google found something called powerlan here:
http://www.april.se/pl322_e.html

Is that the same thing?

"ERRSRV - ERRnosupport" could be the servers strange way of saying that it
wants a password ...

/Urban