[Samba] Hosts files

Kerns, Mike mike.kerns at boeing.com
Fri Nov 8 15:55:00 GMT 2002

Hiya!

Where hosts does local IP to name translation, the hosts.deny and
hosts.allow will let you fine tune who is allowed or denied access to your
server.  There are interactions between the two files that have security
risks, I'd advise you to print out the man page on them so you can annotate
what they say to really get the gist of the control they give you.  IIRC,
the O'Reilly/Spafford _UNIX Security_ book has more details on the
interaction and risks, but I don't have my copy in front of me so I can't
quote chapter & verse.

HTH/HAND,

Mike