[Samba] 2.2.6 and printer questions

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Thu Nov 7 23:18:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

sorry for reposting this long mail, but there was no answer.

An answer like:

"Automatic download and install of printer drivers for printers, which
are not associated with an printcap entry, is not implemented yet."

will be okay - then I know, there is no failure on my side  ;o)

> [...]
>> Really messy.  Then there is the EULA as well.
>
> I think, there is a free postscript driver included in cups.
>
>> If you could get around the EULA, then you could package
>> preinitialized drivers and write the information to smbd's tdbs.  We
>> have support for storing driver initialization data already.
>
> Where can I get more informations about that?
>
>> Sounds interesting.  Hmmm....wish I could read German :-)
>
> Sorry, this is a very new project and the english version of the page
> is not completly done and existing parts are outdated.
>
>> You don't need printing.tdb.  That's a volatile tdb used to cache
> jobs
>> listed in the queue.  The rest of your assessment is correct.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> But another question:
>
> Is it correct, that the automatic download of printer drivers is only
> possible for printers, which are associated with an printcap entry?
> When I'm uploading a postscript driver for a *virtuell* printer,
which
> is not associated with an printcap entry and then making an automatic
> installation of the driver on w2k, the status of this printer is
> always "Failure".
> The definition in smb.conf is:
>
> [pdf]
>    comment = pdf-service on %h
>    browseable = yes
>    printable = yes
>    path = /tmp
>    print command = ( /usr/local/bin/samba-print-pdf %s ~%u \\\\%L\\%u
> %m %I ) &
>    public = yes
>    create mode = 0700
>
> The driver is not the reason because I tested it also with a normal
> driver for the HP Laserjet 4 Plus, for which the automatic
> installation for non-virtuell printers works fine, if the sharename
> will be found in /etc/printcap or if in the share a statement like
>
> printer = <printername in printcap>
>
> exists. I think, automatic installation of printer drivers would be
> also usefull for virtuell printers, if there are for instance 200
> workstations, which want to print to pdf-service...
> I looked into the tdb-files but could not find any associations with
> the printcap entries?
>
> Here are the other informations about my printing situation:
>
> [global]
>    printing = lprng
>    printcap name = /etc/printcap
>    printer admin = root, eis
>    load printers = no
>    print command = chmod 666 %s;\
>                    name="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
>                    /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -J"$name" %s;\
>                    rm %s
>    lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p -L
>    lpq cache time = 4
>    lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
>    lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold %p %j
>    lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release %p %j
>    queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc stop %p
>    queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc start %p
>
> Share definitions, where automatic download works:

/var/install/config.d/lprng.sh
> #
> # Version of Lprng for eisfair is 1.0.1
> #
> # Do not edit this file, use
> #
> # 'Edit Lprng Configuration'
> #
> # in Printer Services Menu !
> #
> # Creation date: Sat Oct 26 20:39:37

> ------

> ------
> # Configuration for local Printer

> ------
> pr1:
>         :rw
>         :sh
>         :lp=/dev/lp0
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/pr1
>         :fx=flp
>
> pr2:
>         :rw
>         :sh
>         :lp=/dev/lp1
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/pr2
>         :fx=flp

> ------
> # Configuration for remote Printer

> ------
> repr1:
>         :rw
>         :sh
>         :lp=pr1 at 192.168.6.99
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/repr1
>         :force_localhost@
>         :fx=flp
>
> repr2:
>         :rw
>         :sh
>         :lp=pr2 at 192.168.6.99
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/repr2
>         :force_localhost@
>         :fx=flp
>
> repr3:
>         :rw
>         :sh
>         :lp=192.168.6.111%9100
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/repr3
>         :force_localhost@
>         :fx=flp
>

> Any ideas or references would be appreciated.
> Thanks  :o)

tom