[Samba] Looking for help with PDC implementation problem

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Thu Nov 7 22:44:02 GMT 2002

>Can't you add the domain user to the Power Users group on the
>local machine?
>Assuming the machine is part of the domain, log in as local
>Administrator
>and under Users/Groups add the domain users to the Power Users group.

Just on this issue, in case you come across the same anomaly that I have
in running Win2k (SP3) against Samba 2.2.5/2.2.6 PDCs, when you try to add
the Domain Users group into the local Power Users group, frequently it
returns an error about being unable to lookup usernames for display or
similar,
sometimes there's another msg as well but I don't recall it right now.

To get around this, open the Users group (local W2k), add in any user off
the PDC, Apply, then delete the user.  Close out of the users group then
Domain Users group with no errors.

Why this occurs, or more to the point, why this workaround fixes it I have
no idea, but like all MS workarounds if it works who cares.... :P