[Samba] smb_trans2_request: result=-104, setting invalid

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Nov 7 21:30:11 GMT 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, David Leuser II wrote:

> I'm having problems with smb connections either timing out or becoming
> corrupted after about 5 minutes of inactivity???  We mount all our user
> homedirs (smb shares) through pam_mount at login.  The workaround is to
> logout and login again.
>
> /var/log/messages has a line that looks related: kernel:
> smb_trans2_request: result=-104, setting invalid

The server is disconnecting you.

You are supposed to get a second line that says "successful" and then the
mount should continue working. But if you are not getting that check if
there are any errors in the smbmount.log

(if you mount as non-root you may need to create an empty file with
 proper permissions first)

> Please help!

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q138/3/65.asp

/Urban