[Samba] Failed to find real path for mount point

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Nov 7 21:00:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Michael Wisse wrote:

> In the meantime I played with the realpath() function, which is used in
> smbmnt.c and  which the error comes from. The path "~/filer" is o.k. and
> realpath() can extract the real path.
> I suppose, that the problem is in smbmount.c in the way how smbmount delivers
> the path to smbmnt(). Perhaps a bug?

smbmount doesn't do anything to the path, it's just a string it copies
over and it's been like that for ages. FWIW, the following works just fine
for me (from the commandline) using some cvs version:

smbmount //localhost/$USER ~/apa -o rw

The same won't work from fstab. It's the shell that expands ~ into
whatever $HOME is. I doubt realpath does any such translation.

I also don't think it's the version of smbmount that matters here.

> Is there a way, to insert a line in /etc/fstab for convenient mounting of user
> specific smb shares? How should the syntax be?

Not unless you change mount to understand ~ and environment variables in
the fstab. But I think you could just as well make a perl/bash/ksh/...
script that translates the arguments for you.

Also worth mentioning, autofs has wildcards that allow you to specify
things like

*  -fstype=smbfs  ://filer/&

If that was mounted on, say, /import/filer it would make
/import/filer/user1 try to mount //filer/user1. But I'm not really sure
that is what you wanted.

/Urban