[Samba] Looking for help with PDC implementation problem

Chris Mason masonc at masonc.com
Thu Nov 7 10:35:02 GMT 2002

In an small business network I have built for a hospitality client, I
have several Win2K workstations and a Redhat 7.3 server using Samba for
PDC and file sharing, user's home directories, etc.  Users can float as
there are not enough machines and some workers are not deskbound.

Everything works great at this stage.

No I have to integrate a Point of Sale system. The POS system runs on
Win98 keyboard-less terminals and a Win2K workstation server, which
shares the data and runs a service to synchronize the data (otherwise I
would have used a samba share)
Since the Win98 terminals cannot login, I cannot run this system under
the domain. However, users on the domain workstations need to be able to
run the POS applications to do inventory control etc.

I tried to give them access by creating accounts on the POS server, and
they got access, but when they run the inventory application, I get

-2147220499: An Error occurred in
clsRegistry.key[PropertyLet],rsNewValue=Software\FastechSoftware\Databas
e.
Message: Can't write

I suspect the problem is that the domain users do not have the
privileges required to write to the registry, when I create the user
locally on the machine everything is fine, and the inventory program
works.
How can I give the domain user the same privileges as a power user on
the local machine?

Chris Mason
masonc at masonc.com
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463 Cell: 264 235 5670
http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
Talk to me in real time:
Yahoo:netconcepts_anguilla
US Fax and Voicemail: (815)301-9759