[Samba] "hiding" and "vetoing" files (for Samba 2.2.2 & Windows Explorer)

Darin DeCounter ddecounter at reviewjournal.com
Wed Nov 6 22:02:00 GMT 2002

We're running Samba 2.2.2 on an RS/6000 (AIX 4.3.3) using Windows 95
clients.  We've tried the "hide files" and "veto files" option in smb.conf,
but when the shares are mapped, we can still see the contents in Windows
Explorer.  We used the wildcard for all the contents of the shares (ex.
hide files = /*.*/).  The Samba manual only makes reference to Windows 98,
so is this even applicable on 95?  Once we test on 95, we'll be upgrading
to Windows 2000.  If at all possible, we wanted to hide the entire share on
Windows Explorer (not just the contents).  We were told when mapping, we
could specify a "$" at the end of the share within the "net use" syntax and
this would hide the entire share, but it doesn't work and they were doing
this on an NT system (so we're not sure if Windows 95, 98 or 2000 even
supports this).  Thanks in advance for any help.
Darin