[Samba] Performance problem

Auleta, Michael michael.auleta at boeing.com
Tue Nov 5 20:24:03 GMT 2002

We currently are running Samba 2.2.2 on a Sun E3000 under Solaris 8 and we're seeing very puzzling performance issues with a visualization package called VisView Professional.

A model is made up of a number of sub-assemblies.  When a user opens a model that is stored on a Windows server, it loads and displays in about two minutes.  If the same model is opened from my Samba server, it takes over eleven minutes.  The time required to copy the directories that contain the sub-assemblies from either server to the local hard drive is between six minutes and six and one half minutes, so I don't think there is an issue with Samba itself.  Doing a tcpdump shows a number of "file not found" messages that may have been part of the model, but are no longer needed, so no longer exist (I'm guessing that's the reason).

We're trying to keep the users from keeping two copies of the data.

Any Suggestions?

Mike