[Samba] Synchronising NT, unix and Samba passwords

James Briar james.briar at merton.gov.uk
Tue Nov 5 16:45:30 GMT 2002

Our Samba is working perfect except that when a users NT password expires
and the user changes it they can't access the share anymore from Windows NT
explorer. At the moment i have to log on to our unix system and change the
unix and samba passwords manually to match the new NT password. I've been
looking through all the websites on Samba but nothing has helped. I've done
all sorts of amendments to the smb.conf file (including setting encrypt
passwords = yes, security = user and update encryted = yes). Should the unix
and samba passwords be automatically updated or i'm i trying to do something
that you can't do.
We're using NT4 and Unix (Sun Solaris 8). The Samba version is 2.0.5a. I'm
implementing a way around this by allowing the users to log into the unix
system to change their Unix/Samba passwords. I've amended their .profile to
include commands "passwd" and "/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd" (and "exit"
to log them out after).

James Briar
Technical Support
Chief Exec Dept - Infrastructure - 6th floor
Ext 3807

the system manager.
Postmaster at merton.gov.uk
http://www.merton.gov.uk