[Samba] getent not working / winbindd issues

Sean Patrick Ingles ingless at visionsys.com
Tue Nov 5 15:58:09 GMT 2002

I first start smbd -D and nmbd -D

Then I start winbindd

Then I join the domain (smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r DOMAINCONTROLLER -U
Administrator) It works

Then I check my Secret (wbinfo -t) and it's good

Then I list users and groups (wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g) and it works fine

However I still cannot get "getent passwd" and "getent group" working,
it just lists the local users or groups and hangs...

I verified that the libraries were in the /lib folder and symlinked, and
here is the output from ldconfig:

[root at tux samba]# ldconfig -v | grep winbind
        libnss_winbind.so -> libnss_winbind.so

I restarted winbindd and typed "getent passwd" and it just lists my
local passwords and hangs.

Nothing is generated in my log.winbindd when I do this either.

I am also noticing that _occasionally_ the box will not allow anyone to
login until after I kill winbindd and sometimes winbindd locks up most
of the processor until I KILL -9 it.

uname -a:

Linux tux.#########.net 2.4.19 #1 Fri Oct 25 15:39:52 EDT 2002 i686
unknown

Here is my /etc/nsswitch.conf (abbreviated):

passwd:     files winbind
shadow:     files winbind
group:      files winbind

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
         workgroup = vsionline
         server string = Samba %v -- TEST --
         security = domain
         password server = vsi-vsi-albany
         winbind uid = 10000-20000
         winbind gid = 10000-20000
         winbind separator = +
         winbind cache time = 10
         winbind enum users = Yes
         winbind enum groups = Yes

For reference, here is my /etc/pam.d/login:

[root at tux pam.d]# cat login
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_unix.so use_first_pass
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so
[root at tux pam.d]#

Any assistance anyone can provide will be much appreciated!

-SP

   \        /   ____/    / Sean Patrick Ingles
    \      /   /        / Jr. Network Engineer
      \  /       /    / Vision Systems, Inc.
      __/   ____/   _/ 142 State Street
                       Albany, NY 12207
    www.visionsys.com   Landline: +1 518.434.4300 x1406