[Samba] Warning when updating Samba via mandrake update

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Nov 5 15:47:00 GMT 2002

> Message: 19
> From: Ken Walker <ken.walker at textiles.umist.ac.uk>
> To: "'samba at lists.samba.org'" <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:16:53 -0000
> Subject: [Samba] Warning when updating Samba via mandrake update
>
> I've just done a update of Samba from 2.2.4 to 2.2.6.

Not with MandrakeUpdate, unless you have screwed up your update
configuration. There is only an update to 2.2.6 that went out late
yesterday, and only applies to 9.0, which originally shipped with
2.2.6pre2. There should be no update for 2.2.5 or earlier, since you
would be running on something earlier than Mandrake 9.0, in which case
you should be using the RPMs for Mandrake 8.x which are available from
two sites:

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~staburet/samba

These RPMs have been submitted to the samba team, and should have been
available on the samba ftp mirrors, but I think Gerry ran out of time ...

> After installing everything it says some files were modified, ie smb.conf,
> and gives you the option to view the changes.

No, it warns you that yuo have changed the supplied default config, and
should show you what has changed in the default config, and the option
to update your config to take these changes into account.

Unfortunately these updates haven't arrived on our mirror yet, so I
can't test it right now.

> It removed all my shared folders, removed settings from 'global' and
changed
> lines for cups and other bits and pieces.

Did it actually remove things without input from you, or did it just
show you what differed between yours and the supplied default?

> Some changes are highlighted in
> green and the ones it removes are in red with '-' stuck in front of them.

Standard diff-type output.

> I'm not sure if anything happens if you just click on ok after the update
> and don't see what's been changed.

If you just click ok, it *should not* change anything, assuming then
that you don't want any of the added features added to your smb.conf.

> So be warned, if everything stops working after an update then check your
> smb.conf file

Maybe it would be better to back up your configs, specifically when
doing updates. We commit our configs to cvs whenever we change them, so
we can't lose them.

> Mr Smiley ( not smiling )

Did something break?

FYI, the fact that you see a dialog is a feature, otherwise you would
have the old config as you had set it up kept in place, and a
/etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew added, which has the new default config. You
would then manually have to use etc-update to get any new entries in
your smb.conf.

In fact, you don't get the dialog if you update via urpmi (which is what
we do here):

# urpmi.update updates
# urpmi --auto-select --auto --update

Regards,