[Samba] Windows 2000 (some sp2 / sp3) + Roaming Profiles + Samba PDC 2.2.3a (Redhat 7.3)

James james at fastvision.net
Tue Nov 5 09:48:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

This is my first post to the list, so iam hoping luck is with me :)

Ive run samba as a simple smb fileserver for over a year, but never needed to do any more than provide shares to users (who always use the same machines).

However Iam not in need of running samba as a PDC for some windows 2000 machines, and need to use roaming profiles. This is where the problem sets in. Ive set up a nice smb.conf for mounting there home drive, setting up other stuff etc. Ive also put in a [netlogon] and a [profiles]

Iam in another part of the office atm, and cant get back to / access the server with the smb.conf on it, however I will get that within a few hours and post it as a reply to this post.

The problem iam getting is when the windows 2000 machine logs onto the domain (not joins it, that works fine) the user gets in ok, but then gets a messages saying its profile cannot be created or found on the server, and a local copy will be used instead. It then also mentions 'DETAIL - The Network Password is incorrect' at the bottom....

The user then gets logged in, but with a local profile, and when they log off none of the profile gets sent back to the server.

Any ideas ? Obviously not helpfull me not providing my smb.conf atm, but I will asap

Thanks in advance

-James