[Samba] Invalid key xxx given to dptr_close?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Tue Nov 5 08:24:04 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <jra at dp.samba.org>
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew at mykitchentable.net>
Cc: <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Samba] Invalid key xxx given to dptr_close?

> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 03:55:06PM -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> >
> > I'd be happy to.  However, I'm pretty green here so I need to know
> > exactly what that is.  I have a log file called "log.lil_buddy" which is
> > the name of the iPAQ and contains the errors.  Is this what you want?
> > Do I need to do something to make it a level 10?  Here's a snip from the
> > log:
> >
> > [2002/11/02 11:43:03, 0] smbd/dir.c:dptr_close(277)
> >   Invalid key 279 given to dptr_close
> > [2002/11/02 11:43:03, 0] smbd/dir.c:dptr_close(277)
> >   Invalid key 278 given to dptr_close
> > [2002/11/02 11:43:03, 0] smbd/dir.c:dptr_close(277)
> >   Invalid key 277 given to dptr_close
> > [2002/11/02 11:43:03, 0] smbd/dir.c:dptr_close(277)
> >   Invalid key 276 given to dptr_close
> >
> > Please let me know what I need to do to help.
>
> Stop samba. Remove all log files. Add the following
> lines to the [global] section of your smb.conf file :
>
> log level = 10
> max log size = 0
> log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
>
> Restart samba, then cause the problem to happen
> again from the client "lil_buddy". Please mail me the
> file log.lil_buddy.

OK, I've tried this but am not sure if it's what you need.  The file after
one Windows Media Player scan (see below) was over 72M.  I took the first
2000 lines, redirected them to a new file, and gzipped it. I have attached
the file to this message.  However, I never saw the error in this file.  It
seems the errors show up in /var/log/messages which is the file that
captures console messages in FreeBSD if I understand correctly.
/var/log/messages didn't show any additional detail other than what I
described in my first post.

Just so you know what I was doing, I am using a PocketPC app called
NetRunner to map the the Samba share, "ftp", to the PocketPC.  It shows up
in the PocketPC explorer as NETWORK\ftp.  I have many mp3 files in the ftp
share.  It seems when I start Windows Media Player on the PocketPC, WMP
scans the PocketPC for all media files.  Because the NETWORK\ftp folder
looks local to the PocketPC, it includes the share in the scan.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.  Thank
you very much for your assistance.

Drew