[Samba] UTMP problem and Samba

drgn65 at ufl.edu drgn65 at ufl.edu
Tue Nov 5 04:27:20 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have had a few tiny problems now that i have samba with utmp.  First of
all, I killed a few stray smb processes by using kill -9 pid.  Well, this
messed up my 'who' and 'finger' readings.

Now I have this
[root at lifesaver /]# w
 11:20pm  up 10 days,  8:47,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT
pshull   pts/1    cpe-clodge-24-13  9:59pm  0.00s  0.25s   ?     -
[root at lifesaver /]#

which is sorta correct except it says 4 users.

and I have this
[root at lifesaver /]# who
scott    smb/1    Oct 28 06:40
pshull   smb/3    Oct 25 15:56
scott    smb/10   Nov  4 15:17
pshull   pts/1    Nov  4 21:59

None of those smb clients are connected.  I can't kill them for the life of
me.  They have no smbd running along with them.  I have tried everything
from kill to skill and it doesn't work.

skill -KILL -v smb/1 doesn't work nor does smb/3 or smb/10.
I am totally clueless how to get rid of these non existant users.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter Shull