[Samba] Force local master?

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Mon Nov 4 18:28:01 GMT 2002

You also need to make sure your windows machines are not running
other protocols. If you have a windows mahcine running NetBEUI
or IPX, it will win browsemaster on those protocol stacks (because
samba does not listen on those protocols). Windows is so smart it
thinks that if it wins on one protocol it should win on all of
them so it will keep forcing elections on the one it lost to samba.

Jay Ts wrote:
> Brian Johnson wrote:
>
>>My Samba server keeps losing elections for local master browser to
>>windows clients and I don't want it to
>

> Try:
>
> [global]
> 	local master = yes
> 	preferred master = yes
> 	os level = 65
>

>>For one thing - how effective is OS level and is a higher number
>>or a lower number better?
>

> Usually, you need an os level higher than that of any Windows
> system. Samba's default of 20 should do it, actually.  Setting
> preferred master gives Samba an additional edge in the election,
> and ensures that an election will be held when Samba starts up.
>
> Jay Ts

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D