[Samba] Samba as printserver; problems with settings

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Nov 4 17:53:00 GMT 2002

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:11:12 +0100
> From: Peer-Joachim Koch <pkoch at bgc-jena.mpg.de>
> To: samba at samba.org, cups at cups.org
> Subject: [Samba] Samba as printserver; problems with settings
>
> Hi,
>
> we are using cups 1.1.15,samba 2.2.5 under suse8.0
> for printing.

Is there any chance to install 2.2.6 (at least on a test machine)?
(for SuSE RPMs see ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/samba/i386/)

Is there any chance to install CUPS 1.1.16 plus the new "CUPS PostScript
driver for Windows NT/2k/XP"? (This one will not have the "Optimized for
Speed" setting at all, so at least that problem would go away, even if
you still couldn't store any settings....)

> Everything works well (driver download), but we have
> some problems with  the settings for the printers.
> Under NT 4.0 it is not possible to set "document defaults"

Do you also have Win 2k/XP clients somewhere on the net?
Does it work for them?

 From the Win NT clients: Are you able to see the icon for the
"Add Printer Wizard" (probably named "New Printer" or "Add Printer"
in German) in the printers folder of the Samba/CUPS server?

> all values can not be changed (only in the printing dialog).
> Also everything is lost, when you log off.
>
> What can we do to fix it ?
>
> The problem is, that our HP printers get mad, because
> a postscript option "optimized for speed" is installed
> as default (i tried to change it on the print server without
> success - other settings can be changed ...).
>
> Therefore the printing is very tricky right now ...
>
> Please send answers also as e-mail - thanks. I will post
> a summary.

Could you try to use the following "trick"?

* create a user "root" on one of the clients; give him full Administrator
   rights.
* let root be in the "printer admin" group of Samba (possibly
   not really necessary, as root may be in there by default and
   without explicitly making him a member...)
* let root browse to the printer folder share of the CUPS/Samba
   host via "network neighbourhood"
* see if you can change the settings then...

I am not sure about it -- I am "quoting" from my memory; but I think
it was something like this that made it work for me in the past.
Currently I don't have Win NT as a client nor CUPS 1.1.15 nor Samba
2.2.5 here (I am on XP/1.1.16 or 1.1.pre17/2.2.6 here, and it works
perfectly...)

> Bye, Peer

> Max-Planck-Institut fuer Biogeochemie
> Dr. Peer-Joachim Koch
> Winzerla Str.10              Telefon: ++49 3641 576705
> D-07745 Jena                 Telefax: ++49 3641

Cheers,
Kurt