[Samba] Problems connecting to Samba through windows

Justin justin at cview.com.au
Mon Nov 4 02:24:00 GMT 2002

I just started using Linux a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to setup samba.
I have a couple of text books I have been following which have helped me be able to run the
smbclient from Linux to view both the shares on my Linux and xp machine.

The problem is that I can not access the Linux files from my xp machine. I can ping the machine
without a problem and can also view the machine through network neighbourhood. However when I
double click the Linux machine in network neighbourhood I receive the error:

\\linux is not accessible. you might not have permissions to use this network resource.
No service is operating at the destination network endpoint on the remote system.

I have gone through all the documentation I can find but nothing seems to help. Could someone please advise me on what I am doing wrong or not doing at all. I am still learning so the more explanatory the better.

I look forward to your response
Justin