[Samba] RE: Clarifying CUPS Printing

Ulrich Kohlhase Ulrich.Kohlhase at t-online.de
Sun Nov 3 15:53:00 GMT 2002

Kurt,

Thanks for pointing to the samba docs, last time I read the relevant
parts regarding printing and cups is a couple of months ago ;-). We did
have a working configuration already, but I changed smb.conf slightly
just in case ...

Setup: SuSE Linux, XFS, 2.4.18 kernel, cups 1.1.16
smb.conf:
load printers = Yes
printcap name = cups
lpq cache time = 10
lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
lppause command = /usr/bin/lp -i %p-%j -H hold
lpresume command = /usr/bin/lp -i %p-%j -H resume
queuepause command = /usr/sbin/reject %p
queueresume command = /usr/sbin/accept %p
printer name = ljfach2
print command =
/usr/bin/perl /usr/local/samba/lib/printhp2100.pl %p %s %u %m %I %T

We now have
--a: Samba linked against libcups
--c: "printcap = cups" in smb.conf
--d: "Printcap /etc/printcap" in cupsd.conf
and omitted
--b: "printing = cups" in smb.conf
to make sure our custom print commands are used.