[Samba] Samba over IPSEC VPN wierdness

Kevin Hardy kevin at 3rdplanet.com
Fri Nov 1 22:08:00 GMT 2002

Hi All,

I just setup an IPSEC VPN using FreeSWAN from home to my office over a 256k DSL line and have run into some wierdness:

- When connecting to the Samba File server (2.2.1a on Linux Mandrake) at from the office from Win 2K clients at the office everything works fine.

- When connecting from home to the office Samba File sever from a RedHat 8 client using smbmount everything work fine.

- When connecting from home from a Win 2K client to the office Samba server it just times out. I have added an entry for the office Samba server in the home Win2K client's LMHOSTS file. When sniffing packs on the connection I am seeing net-bios over TCP traffic from the Win2K client to the office samba server. However it still errors out: