[Samba] SLOW connections

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Fri Nov 1 20:56:04 GMT 2002

Fred:

I don't know if this is it, but do you have a DNS server or a HOSTS file
on the Windows machine(s) pointing to the IP of the Linux box?  If not,
here is what (I think) is happening: Windows 98 will try to contact a
DNS server to locate the network machine and fail with a time out (which
takes several seconds).  Then it will revert to the WINS service and
find the Linux box.  Windows cache's WINS resolutions and that's why
subsequent connections are "peppy".

My forward look-up zone was "fubar"ed on my DNS server here at work and
my Windows machines exhibited the exact same symptoms as you describe.
I fixed the zone file and everything began to operate properly.

If this isn't it, I'm sorry for feeding you bad information.  :-)

Kevin L. Collins