[Samba] SLOW connections

Fred Kuipers fred at kuipers.dhs.org
Fri Nov 1 20:27:21 GMT 2002

Hi everyone,

I have a small home network with a Samba 2.2.3 server on Linux serving
up my files and printers. However, from windows machines (win 98)
connecting to a share takes an annoyingly long time (in the order of 10s
of seconds)  Connecting from a linux box is very quick.  I have
configured Windows 98 to fully reconnect the share on logon. If I don't,
Windows Explorer hangs all over the place (even when simply loading it
and it hits the network).  After the initial connection, everything is
pretty quick. I have run through all the diagnostics and I have no clue
why Windows could be so slow connecting.

Note on hardware: 10 Mbit network, 1.2 GHz and 350 Mhz windows machines
connecting to a 500 mhz linux machine (with 2 eth interfaces)... No CPU
usage issues on linux server and full network availability during
connections. I have no connectivity troubles with the network.

Any thots?? Is this a silly little configuration problem?

Thanks in advance.

FjK

Please Reply All - I'm not on the list.

 > grep -v "^[;#]" /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep -v "^$"

[global]
    workgroup = KUIPERS_HOME
    server string = Samba Server %v
    printcap name = lpstat
    load printers = yes
    printing = cups
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    security = share
    encrypt passwords = no
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    dns proxy = no
    unix password sync = no
    map to guest = never
    password level = 0
    null passwords = no
    allow hosts = 192.168.0.
    os level = 33
    preferred master = yes
    wins support = yes
    interfaces = eth1 lo
    dead time = 0
    debug level = 0
    status = yes
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
    available = yes
    public = no
    user = fred val
    only user = no
    preexec close = no
    root preexec close = no
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    create mode = 0700
    print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side
printer dr
ivers.
    available = yes
[print$]