[Samba] getent not working correctly

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Fri Nov 1 17:48:01 GMT 2002

You need getent to work.  This is really how Unix actually does the
authenticating - winbind is just the conduit to the M$ database.

Have you edited your /etc/nsswitch.conf correctly?  You need:

passwd:     files winbind nisplus
shadow:     files winbind nisplus
group:      files winbind nisplus

This will make Unix call winbind when looking for users/groups (this the
mechanism that getent passwd/group runs).

HTH,
Noel