[Samba] Problems in logging on to a samba 2.2.4 domain from Windows XP

Claus Svarer csvarer at nru.dk
Fri Nov 1 16:07:00 GMT 2002

Hi

We have just received our first Windows XP machine and have joined it to
a Samba domain (vers 2.2.4). Before doing this we were setting the
"requiresignorseal" to "disabled" (running the .reg file). Joining it to
the domain was done without any problems (we did create a machine
account before doing this) and the first domain logon was also done
without any problems. After having done a logout from the domain,
rebooting the machine and then trying to login to the domain again an
error message is received. The error message is "Windows cannot connect
to the domain either because the domain controller is down or otherwise
unavailable or because your computer account was not found".

An error message is written into the samba log file for the machine. It
looks like:

[2002/11/01 15:36:17, 1] smbd/password.c:(545)
  Couldn't find user 'administrator' in passdb.
[2002/11/01 15:36:17, 1] smbd/password.c:(545)
  Couldn't find user 'administrator' in passdb.
[2002/11/01 15:36:17, 1] smbd/reply.c:(989)
  Rejecting user 'administrator': authentication failed
[2002/11/01 15:36:28, 1] smbd/password.c:(545)

We don't have an administrator account defined in the smbpasswd file,
but we have a local machine account in the Windows XP machine with that
name.

Has anyone seen the same problem and found a solution for this problem?

Best regards
Claus Svarer

PS We have many Windows2000 machines that uses the same Samba domain.
They are used without any problems