[Samba] Redhat 8.0 and Samaba 2.2.5

Brian Gulizia brian.gulizia at complexlit.com
Fri Nov 1 13:45:59 GMT 2002

First, let me apologize if this is a simple question, I am trying to get away from Microsoft and learn Linux.

In the past, on my Linux test server I have installed samba 2.2.3a and a seperate install of winbind for that same version.
I followed the directions I've seen posted and it all works well.

I tried to upgrade to 2.2.5 but winbind wouldnt work.  So I went back down to 2.2.3a  This was before Red Hat 8.0 came out.
I gave up for the rest of that week since 8.0 came out the following week.  Last week I had the spare time to wipe a spare machine
and put 8.0 on, and enabled Samba 2.2.5 in the install.

The shares work pefectly, but again winbind does not.  I mimicked everything I did for the Samba 2.2.3 install

I added the proper lines to nsswitch.conf

passwd:   files winbind
group:      files winbind

My samba pam module has the following

auth	sufficient	/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth	required		/lib/security/pam_pwbd.so shadow nullok
account	sufficient	/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
account	required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

I joined the domain with the following

smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC -U Adminaccount

I added the proper lines to smb.conf

[global]
        winbind separator = +
        winbind cache time = 10
        template shell = /bin/bash
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        security = domain
        password server = *

I've checked to see that it is running, and it is, but getent passwd does not give me my domain users
None of the wbinfo queries work.

Is there anything I'm missing?  I've seen posts about doing a make install with the winbind option...but do
I need to do that when I've selected samaba during the initial red hat install?

The only difference between my Samba 2.2.3 install and the 2.2.5 install that installed automatically with
red hat 8.0 was that there was a seperate rpm for winbind.

Any advice is appreciated, I've worked on this for a while now and have gone through countless posts trying
things and none of it works.

Thanks,

Brian Gulizia