[Samba] PDC Problems (read this the first one is incomplete)

Michele Santucci tux at shiny.it
Fri Nov 1 10:17:01 GMT 2002

> Sorry, I just want to clarify, does it fail when adding a computer
> account in the domain?

No... it fails after that... when the system ask to create a local profile
for a Domain user...
it happens with all the users, normal ones and admins...

> > In the machine specific log file if found this:
> >
> > [2002/10/31 10:14:32, 0] smbd/password.c:authorise_login(863)
> >   authorise_login: rejected invalid user guest
> > [2002/10/31 10:14:32, 0] smbd/password.c:authorise_login(863)
> >   authorise_login: rejected invalid user guest
> >

> When you were trying to do what?

When I try to create a local profile for a Domain user...

> > I already set the w2k workstations to send non encrypted password to
third
> > parties smb server.
> > I checked /etc/passwd, group and /etc/samba/smbpasswd file and they're
> > correcly updated with machine and user accounts.
> >

> You cannot join a windows 2000 machine to a domain if you have set it to
> use clear text passwords, and you smb.conf is set for encrypted passwords.

U're right it seemed strage to me too but I found notes about setting
encryption in the
smb.conf file in the samba PDC faq & howto and also hints about unsetting
the encryption
for third party PDCs in similar documentation... and anyway this fix another
problem:
when u try to add a Domain user in a local machine u can specify it manually
or u can browse it from the PDC... if don't enable the password encryption
for third parties server the user list browsing fails...

> Can you be more clear on exactly which "procedure" you are using?

About what?

    bye by(t)e[S]...TuX!