[Samba] WinXP joining a samba PDC

Sergio Gusmao srbgusmao at hotmail.com
Fri May 31 16:24:02 GMT 2002

Hi folks,

I've latetly searching for a solution of a problem of mine when I suddenly
stuck on this msg.

In fact, I've just got the same problem with WinXP on a Samba 2.2.3 server.
I've followed the same procedure Fernando did but, unfortunately, got a
message concerning a RPC failure.

My Windows is in Portuguese and I've got no idea of what should it be in
english, but I supose it's something like "Remote Procedure Failure".

If somebody's got any other idea of what could this problem be, please drop
me a reply.

Thank you inadvance.

Regards,

Sérgio Gusmão
IT Consultant
srbgusmao at hotmail.com
srbgusmao at irr.com.br

I have been added a WinXP machine to a Samba PDC following the steps bellow:

1. Make sure that your smb.conf file contains "domain logons = yes"

2. Is a good practice create a group only for computer accounts using:

             group -g 201 machines

3. Add the machine account to you /etc/passwd using the following command:

         useradd -g machines -d /dev/null -c "machine id" machine_name\$

     Don't forgot the "\$"! Otherwise, Samba will not recognize the account.

4. Lock the password to the machine account using:

         passwd -l machine_name$

5. Add the machine account to your smbpasswd file using the command:

         smbpasswd -a -m machine_name

     Without "\$"!!!

6. Apply the registry patch in your XP machine.  Using regedit, make
sure to patch all the
     control sets.  The .reg file only patch "Current Control Set", may
be there are 2 or 3
     Control Sets more.  You have to parch all of them manually.

7. Using the Network Identification Wizard, try to jouin your XP machine
to the Samba
     domain.  You have to do this proccess using an username with admin
rights in your Linux
     machine (like root for example).  Otherwise, it will not work.

And... if all is ok... Voila! Machine added! :)
Hope this help.  I send my smb.conf file, is working well with all my XP
clients.

Good Luck!

Fernando

Kevin Pratt wrote:

 >I am running it to a problem adding a WinXP Computer to my samba PDC.
  It is
 >coming up with an error about the trust accounts.
 >
 >I have tried the registry patch with no success.
 >
 >Any suggestions?
 >
 >Kevin

;basic server settings
workgroup = FAMILIA
netbios name = SERVIDOR
server string = Servidor Linux
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
kernel oplocks = no

;PDC and master browser settings
os level = 64
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
domain master = yes
domain logons = yes

;security and logging settings
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
wins support = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
log level = 2
max log size = 50
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
socket address = 192.168.1.1

;user profiles and home directory
logon home = \\%L\%U\
logon drive = H: