[Samba] I will pay you $10US (via Paypal) out of my own pocke t if you can solve this CUPS & Samba problem.

Manuel Gomez ERG at e-r-solutions.com
Fri May 31 13:55:03 GMT 2002

Greg,

I had a heck of a time getting Samba and CUPS up and running together, but
here are a couple of pointers.

If you are serving Windows clients, and a Windows driver is available for
your printer (not hard to imagine), you are probably best off setting up a
RAW print queue in CUPS, and installing the printer drivers on your Samba
server using the Add/Remove Printers Wizard.

The documentation for setting that up is, in my opinion, a little vague, but
it certainly can be done.  The most simple way to setup it up (in my mind)
is as follows:
1) Make sure you have a 'printer admin = ???' directive in your smb.conf,
where '???' is a comma-separated list of Unix users and/or groups who will
be able to manage printer settings.  Group designations in smb.conf need an
'@' prefix (like '@group').
2) For testing, I would set 'read only = no' on the [print$] share, and when
it's working, you could either set 'read only = yes' and 'write list = ???'
where ??? is another comma separated list of Unix users and/or groups, these
being the users who will be able to upload drivers to the server.
Alternately, you could just leave 'read only = no', just make sure you
understand the implications.
3) Make sure the file system permissions will allow you to create files and
directories under the path of your [print$] share.  I would put it elsewhere
than /usr/share/cups/model, because these aren't going to hold CUPS drivers,
but Windows binary drivers.  Then, create directories under that path for
each Windows version you want to support.  These are 'W32X86' for WinNT &
Win2K clients, 'WIN40' for Win9x, and I can't remember the others.
4) If samba is picking up your printers from your printcap, you can skip
this, but otherwise you'll have to set up a share for each printer you want
to share.
5) Browse, from a Windows PC, to the Red Hat server in explorer.
Double-click 'Printers'.  Depending on your windows version, the following
may be different.  I'm using Win2K, and this is how it goes:
Right click in the white space of the window, and select 'Server properties'
from the context menu.  Select the 'Drivers' tab.  Click 'Add...' then go
through the wizard.  If 'Add...' is unselectable (greyed-out), then the
server is not seeing you as a member of the 'printer admins' list that you
set up in step 1, so start your troubleshooting there.
6) Once you've got the drivers uploaded onto the server, you need to
associate them with a given printer, which you do by right-clicking the
appropriate printer and selecting 'Properties', then clicking on the
'Advanced' tab (I think this step is slightly different under NT).  In the
drop-down box marked 'Driver:', select the appropriate driver (probably the
one you just uploaded).
7) Now, on the client machines, install the printer normally, and the
drivers should automatically download with the connection.

Let me know if that helps at all.

Manuel Gomez