[Samba] I will pay you $10US (via Paypal) out of my own pocket if you can solve this CUPS & Samba problem.

Ben Griffith bgriffit at email.unc.edu
Fri May 31 12:00:02 GMT 2002

-----[ GWEBSTER at ahbl.ca wrote on 05/31/02 11:26:53 AM -0700 ]-----

--> the Printers share via Network Neighbourhood), I get a "The server on
--> which the printer resides does not have the correct printer driver
--> installed. If you want to install the driver on your local computer,
--> click OK".

Greg,

In order to get my server to automagically install the drivers, I had to
use a Win2K machine to load the drivers into the server. Samba needs to
build an internal database of what drivers it has and what machines the
drivers are for. Just copying the specific driver files into a dir on the
linux box does not work ( I tried that too )  :]

You can try to cli the drivers in using the rpcclient ( not the
recommended way, at least not by me ) or on an NT machine. ( I used Win2K,
I imagine XP would work too ) Just browse to the server. Then double click
on the printers folder. Now you should see all of your printers listed
with little blue "sharing" icons on them. Goto File-->Server Properties.
There is a drivers tab in there which will show you what drivers are on
the machine and what OS they are for. There should be an add button on
that tab. Use this to upload the drivers into the samba server.

I got my drivers from the manufactures, and then unzipped them into a dir
on the win2k machine. The add driver dialogue will ask for a printer
driver file. Browse to the folder where you unzipped the driver and hit
OK. The driver should begin to upload to the samba server. Mine always
stopped and asked for another file off of the Win2000 server cd. I just
truncated the extra path info off of the end of the pre-filled path ( it
had something like C:\Winnt\something\\more stuff ). I cut it off at the
'\\' and then hit OK. This allowed the driver to finish loading. After it
all goes in, you return to the drivers tab and there should be a listing
for the driver that you just installed.

Note, there are a number of drivers which will not be loaded into the
server. These are the printers that Windows includes 'native' drivers for.

So you have printers now? And connected clients can print?

Once you get the drivers worked out, things will be great.

Good luck.

     --Ben--

Ben Griffith
bgriffit at email.unc.edu