[Samba] can read but not write to samba server

Jason Stewart jstewart at rtl.org
Fri May 31 11:11:05 GMT 2002

Hi Patrick,

Looks like you are sharing your entire root directory (bad idea), and the
permissions on the root directory would prevent any normal user from
writing to it.

Good Luck,
Jason Stewart

At 12:44 PM 5/31/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I'm relatively new to linux, and an absolute neophyte to Samba.  I have
>installed the Samba server (samba-2.2.4-2)  on my linux box and have it
>networked to a pc running Windows98.  (this is where my development
>environement resides)  I can transfers any files from my Linux box
>(share=ptpl) to my Windows pc, however when I try to to transfer files
>the other way (a write to the Linux Box), an error dialog box pops up on
>my windows98 machine:
>
>Error Copying File:
>
>Can not copy file filename: Access is denied
>
>Make sure the disc is not full or write protected
>and that the file is not currently in use
>

>The disc is not full and I believe Samba does not have it write
>protected (writable = Yes).  I am including smb.conf.  Could someone
>please guide me on where to look next.
>
>Thank you in advance,
>Patrick Philbin
># Samba config file created using SWAT
>
># from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
>
># Date: 2002/05/21 16:11:17
>

># Global parameters
>
>[global]
>
>       writable = yes
>
>       dns proxy = No
>
>       security = share
>
>       workgroup = TWG
>
>       server string = Samba Server
>
>       socket options = TCP_NODELABUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>
>       guest ok = Yes
>
>       log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>
>       load printers = yes
>
>       default = global
>
>       max log size = 50
>
>       locking = no
>

>[homes]
>
>       comment = Home Directories
>
>       writable = yes
>

>[printers]
>
>       comment = All Printers
>
>       path = amba
>
>       read only = Yes
>
>       guest ok = No
>
>       printable = Yes
>
>       browseable = Yes
>

>[ptpl]
>
>       path = /
>
>       writable = yes
>
>       browseable = yes
>
>       security = share
>
>       public = Yes

Jason Stewart
Systems Administrator/Programmer
Right to Life of Michigan
Tel: (616)532-2300
Fax: (616)532-3461

To find out where Michigan Gubernatorial Candidate Jennifer Granholm really
stands, please visit http://www.granholmgarble.com/