[Samba] Win98 not transmitting passwd to samba server

CJ ferguson cjferg at pacbell.net
Fri May 31 07:31:31 GMT 2002

Hello

I cannot get my Windows98 machines to connect to my Samba server(2.2.4)
shares. It appears that my Win machines are not transmitting the password.
The Samba server looks OK. On the server machine, "smbclient -L <server> -U
user1" prompts me for a passwd, then, after authentication, displays the
shares. When I attempt to map a share from my Win machines, the samba log
file shows

smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(973)
  Defaulting to Lanman password for user1
smbd/password.c:password_ok(593)
  Null passwords not allowed.
smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(989)
  Rejecting user 'user1': authentication failed
smbd/error.c:error_packet(91)
  error string = No such file or directory

I verified the null passwd being sent from the Win machines by turning on
the sniffer(ethereal) on the samba server and looking at the packets coming
through. In packets labeled by the sniffer "Session Setup AndX Request", I
can see the account name, and primary domain name, but when it comes to the
password, the length is set to '1' and the password is set to '00'. I am
using the same login and passwords for both my Linux and Win98 machines. No
encrypted passwords on any machine. Both Win98 and server security are set
to 'user'.

What am I missing?

I would appreciate any info or insight as to what will help me solve my
problem.

CJ Ferguson
fergsffd at yahoo.com