[Samba] Windows won't send passwd to samba server

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri May 31 07:28:02 GMT 2002

Hi CJ,
are you using UNENCRYPTED passwords?  (ie if you do testparm|grep "encrypt
pass"  does it come back and say
"encrypt passwords = no")  If so, then this is normal windows client
behavior (for later clients like win2k) - they can successfully negotiate
cleartext passwords, but will not actually SEND a cleartext password across
the wire until you respond to a prompt that asks for username password
again.  The first time, it sends a null password (as you see in the trace),
and then when it fails, should ask you for a username and password.  If you
type in the correct username and password then, it should work...
Hope this helps,
Don