[Samba] Samba 2.2.3a as a WINS server for a multisubnet network

Costin Manda cmanda at mail.castrum.ro
Fri May 31 01:42:02 GMT 2002

Hello, samba list!

I need to set up Samba so that a network of 5 subnets (192.168.X.0, where X
is 1..5) consisting of Windows systems communicate through smb and see each
other in Network Neighbourhood.

The samba server is located on one of the subnets (192.168.1.2) and the
subnets communicate with each other through routers that incapsulate packets
through the internet. (each subnet is in another town)

Until now I've set up Samba as explained in the documentation, configured as
a WINS server and it all works fine only for Win9x subnets. If there is one
WIndows2000 computer on one of the subnets, the computers on that subnet
disappear from the network neighbourhood of all the other subnets. The
computers are accessible if the computer name is specified in the address
bar. All the computers have the WINS server set up as 192.168.1.2, but it
still doesn't work. Can you please help me out with this?

           Siderite