[Samba] About password length in solaris 8 and samba 2.2.4

Terja Antola terja at utu.fi
Fri May 31 00:04:02 GMT 2002

Hello

You wrote as below in samba-list:

Message: 19
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 22:13:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org>
To: Carl Vincent <c.a.vincent at ncl.ac.uk>
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] Password Length Conundrum

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Carl Vincent wrote:

> I've jsut installed Samba-2.2.4, from source on a Solaris 2.6 box.
> I'm looking to upgrade from some 2.0.x versions I'm running.
>
> I've createed a password entry using smbpasswd -a and added my password.
> My password has 9 characters in it. Using smbclient on the Solaris box,
> I can access the share, but I can't from Win95 or Win2000 clients
> (encryption is on). If I try to access using only the first 8 characters
> from my password (without changing the password on the server) it works
> on all three platforms.

Probably Solaris' getpass() routine or something we use.  I'll add it to
my list of stuff to look at when I can.

Have you found any solution to problem above?

I have the same problem. We change our smb-passwords in solaris 8 /
samba 2.2.4 machine and now when users authenticate themselves to our
domain it accepts only first 8 characters of the password. It happens
also in authentication server where we have solaris 2.6 and samba
2.0.5a...
only that we allways change our domain passwords in solaris 8/samba
2.2.4 machine.

So I thing there is something wrong with changeing passwords with
smbpasswd command???

--
	        Terja Antola, Univercity of Turku
		Internet: terja.antola at utu.fi