[Samba] Frustrated with Samba and CUPS

Ben Griffith bgriffit at email.unc.edu
Thu May 30 18:10:34 GMT 2002

-----[ GWEBSTER at ahbl.ca wrote on 5/30/2002 1:39 PM -0700 ]-----

--> Would you mind sending me the applicable sections of your smb.conf?
--> Also...do you have a file called printers.def somewhere on your system?

I do not have a printers.def file. If I recall correctly, this was how
older versions of samba tracked the printers/drivers. I am running 2.2.1a.

>From the global section:
-------------------------------------
  printcap name = lpstat
  load printers = yes
  printing = cups
  printer admin = @cas
  print command = lpr -r -P%p -J'%J' %s
  lpq command = lpstat -o %p
  lprm command = cancel %p-%j
  lppause command = lp -i %p-%j -H hold
  lpresume command = lp -i %p-%j -H resume
  queuepause command = /usr/bin/disable %p
  queueresume command = /usr/bin/enable %p

Other sections as follows:

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   writeable = no
   printable = yes

[print$]
  path = /etc/samba/drivers
  guest ok = no
  browseable = yes
  read only = yes
  write list = tech,root

I am using domain security and I don't want un-authenticated users
printing, hence all of the guest ok = no stuff. Maybe allow guests at first
until it is working.

Another thing to consider: are you running a firewall? Samba needs ports
137-139 for proper function. Also, what are the hosts allow/deny settings?
Are you accidentally blocking yourself there? What does smbclient -L
localhost get you?

Maybe try just a simple share first.

[test]
 path = /tmp
 guest ok = yes
 browseable = yes
 writeable = yes

And see if you can see this listed in the smbclient output.

     --Ben--

Ben Griffith
bgriffit at email.unc.edu