[Samba] Frustrated with Samba and CUPS

WEBSTER, Greg GWEBSTER at ahbl.ca
Thu May 30 11:41:03 GMT 2002

I'm sure you've seen that subject line before....

I can't get Samba (via Swat) to see my CUPS printers at all.

I've tried everything I can think of...the single network-connected printer
is listed in CUPS and I've added it on the command-line (via printconf-tui).
I can send a test page to it from the CUPS web-interface and also through
the printconf-tui interface. I can "cat foo | lpr", so I am absolutely sure
the printer is connected, usable and available.

In smb.conf:
    printcap name = cups

Also, I added these during the fight to get this working just in case...(all
the paths exist and contain files that work). I've noticed that when I set
up 'printers' it chooses "browseable = No" even when I choose 'Yes' - not
sure how or why.
[printers]
    path = /tmp
    guest account = lp
    printer admin = @ftp
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

[printers$]
    comment = printer_drivers
    path = /usr/share/postscript/ppd/en
    guest ok = Yes

[print$]
    path = /data/print_drivers
    guest ok = Yes

Please help...I really need to get this up and running ASAP.

Thanks,

GregW