[Samba] Accessing PC from Unix

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Thu May 30 11:04:02 GMT 2002

Has anyone ever used a low end linux box as a SMB to NFS gateway?

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Klopf, Tom wrote:

As far as I know, you can't use smbmount in Solaris. I don't think it was
ever intended to run independently of "mount", anyway.

 However, there are some products out there that allow you to mount windows
shares to Solaris ("lanmanager" style shares).  Check this one out:

http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity/index.html

It's free, apparently, if you meet certain conditions (non-profit or
something).  If I remember correctly, Sun has a product for doing this as
well.

Alternatively, you can use smbclient to connect to windows shares, but you
won't have the flexibility of a mounted filesystem (as the other response
notes - it's a bit like FTP).

-tom