[Samba] Samba 2.2.4 frequent mangled names clashes

abartlet at samba.org abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 30 00:57:10 GMT 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 09:32:24AM +0200, Pascal Schelcher wrote:

> > I don't particularly mind, but just make sure its not the default.
> >
> > Remember, those 8.3 paths are in all sorts of .ini files and registry keys
> > on the clients, so we are going to have to keep this bugger alive for a bit
> > longer.
> >

> I don't understand what you say...
> Those 8.3 paths are "calculated" by the Samba server ? So the client is independent of this process... Am I mistaken ?

The client has no role in generating these paths, but may decide to store them.

The happens particularly when you install programs onto the network drive, and
the path they use contains long file names.  The programs will often store
the 'short' path in the registry.  Once that is stored, they expect to be
able to use it in furture.

Andrew Bartlett