[Samba] need help setting up a printer

Mahoney, Tom tom.mahoney at riaco.com
Wed May 29 13:22:35 GMT 2002

I'm trying to setup a print share with samba-2.2.4 that 9x and 2k clients
should be able to print to.
Below is my current setup listing only printer related options.
My first concern right now is that I have cups running with the pdfdistiller
script to format print jobs into pdf documents.
I'm not using a real printer for this.
I need samba to display the cups printer called PDF_Printer so that I can
print to it from windows.
Now the only driver with cups so far that I've been able to get to create a
non corrupt pdf was the raw driver aside from thta I had tried some hp
drivers but don't really have a clue what I SHOULD use as a driver with
pdfdistiller. Anyway raw works for cups and I can use the cups web interface
to print a test page and then view that pdf with xpdf or acroread. From this
point assuming that I had samba displaying the printer I need to know what
print driver I would choose.
I also would rather at this time use a local print driver as imprints and
adding from 2k are way over my head.
I'm still trying to understand the new [print$] share.
Oh and I'd prefer to not to have to create the "print" share PDF_Printer
below but so far it's the only way to get a printer to display from nework
neighborhood. [print$] doesn't create a list automatically as near as I can
tell and 2k doesn't use [printer].
Can anyone help or point out any obvious flaws in my setup? Thanks in
advance to anyone who can help. =)

[global]
        total print jobs = 0
        load printers = Yes
        printcap name = cups
        disable spoolss = No
        enumports command =
        addprinter command =
        deleteprinter command =
        show add printer wizard = Yes
        printer admin = root, @lp
        min print space = 0
        max print jobs = 1000
        printable = No
        postscript = No
        printing = cups
#       print command = lpr -r -P%p %s
        print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
#       lpq command = lpq -P%p
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
#       lprm command = lprm -P%p %j
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        lppause command =
        lpresume command =
        queuepause command =
        queueresume command =
        printer name =
        use client driver = No
#       printer driver =
#       printer driver file = /etc/samba/printers.def
#       printer driver location =

#[printer$]
#       comment = All Printers
#       path = /var/spool/samba