[Samba] Re: Win9x login script drive mapping problem - more info

A.J.Dawson A.J.Dawson at Bradford.ac.uk
Wed May 29 10:11:02 GMT 2002

Many thanks to those who have replied so far - still no luck
unfortunately.

It would appear that I was ni=ot quite specific enough in the original
post re: the OS version I am using - it is Windows 98SE, NOT vanilla 98.

As for the login script I am using, I tried originally with the NT/2K
script I use for all the other machines (logical as they are all NT/2K!):

#### Script starts here ####

@echo OFF
REM
REM login scripts for computers logging into 'badger'
REM

c:

echo Setting workstation time...
net time \\server /set /yes

echo Mapping network drives...
rem home drive is mapped automagically to p:
net use q: \\server\Guest /PERSISTENT:NO
net use r: \\server\Archive /PERSISTENT:NO
net use x: \\server\Team /PERSISTENT:NO

#### Script ends here ####

This works absolutely fine for the NT/2K machines - the only problem I had
originally was solved by putting 'c:' at the start of the file.  It doesnt
work at all for the 98SE machine though.

I have tried a couple of simple script files so far for the 98SE machine,
replacing my usual script with the simple script each time:

#### Script 1 ####

net use q: \\server\guest

#### Script 1 ends here ####

#### Script 2 ####

c:
net use q: \\server\guest
net use * \\server\archive

#### Script 2 ends here ####

#### Script 3 ####

c:
c:\windows\net use q: \\server\guest

#### Script 3 ends here ####

#### Script 4 ####

net use q: \\server\guest
echo Got here! ? c:\output.txt

#### Script 4 ends here ####

In none of the above cases was a drive mapped.  The echo command casued
the output from the net use command to be piped out to c:\output.txt - in
each case this gave:

The syntax is incorrect.
For help, type NET USE /? at the command prompt.

In every one of the above cases, running the same commands from a command
prompt once I was logged into the machine caused the drive(s) to be
mapped.

If I map a drive (say z:) to the netlogon drive and then run the script
from the 'scripts' directory, I get an error along the lines of:

'The shared resource could not be located'

I think that this was the reason I put the 'c:' near the start of the
NT/2K login script, but its been quite a while since I have had to touch
the setup and my memory isnt what it once was!  As I showed above though,
I tried this modification on the script I was using for the 98SE box and
it didnt seem to make any difference...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards
Andy

Dr. Andy Dawson
A.J.Dawson at Bradford.ac.uk
http://www.mossie.org
http://www.museum-explorer.org.uk

 Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.