[Samba] Cross-subnet browsing

Simon Hobson shobson-lists at colony.com
Wed May 29 05:34:02 GMT 2002

Con Harte wrote:

>The LMB for one of our routed networks doesn't seem to
>be collecting the browse list from our DMB (also PDC).
>
>Also we seem to be getting entries in nmbd's log to say
>that the LMBs of these remote nets are claiming that they
>are LMB of the local net.  They _are_ LMBs but of _their_
>Local net.  So why is nmbd then having elections on the local
>net.

One I can answer ! You have broadcast forwarding turned on in the
router(s). The LMB is broadcasting it's existence, and that broadcast is
getting forwarded to other subnet(s). However, when the election is held it
gets sorted out (until the next broadcast).

If you are using Cisco routers, then you want to include some (or all) of
these lines in your config :

interface Ethernet0
 ip address xxxx
 ip helper-address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
! turns on broadcast forwarding (in our case for bootp/dhcp support)

no ip forward-protocol udp tftp
no ip forward-protocol udp nameserver
no ip forward-protocol udp domain
no ip forward-protocol udp time
no ip forward-protocol udp netbios-ns
no ip forward-protocol udp netbios-dgm
no ip forward-protocol udp tacacs

! turn off those we DON'T want.

Simon

--
Simon Hobson, Technical Services Engineer
Colony Gift Corporation Limited

Registered in England No. 1499611
Regd. Office : 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA.