[Samba] Win2K unable to see shares

Peter Wood PeterW at afa-systems.co.za
Wed May 29 04:43:03 GMT 2002

I have been unable to get my Samba shares on RedHat 7.3, Samba 2.2.3a to be
visible from my Windows 2000 SP1 server.  From the DIAGNOSIS.txt tests
(results below) I think that nmbd is not working properly, but it stops and
starts fine, and a ps -A shows 1 X smbd and 2X(?)nmbd processes running, I
have tried the suggestions there without luck and am not sure where to go
next.  I'd appreciate any suggestions...

Regards,
Peter

TEST 1:
-------
"testparm smb.conf"
Successful.

TEST 2:
-------
"ping BIGSERVER"
Successful.

TEST 3:
-------
"smbclient -L BIGSERVER"
Successful.

TEST 4:
-------
"nmblookup -B BIGSERVER __SAMBA__"
Successfully returned the IP address, but also returned several lines thus:
tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file
/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb:
No such file or directory

On inspection, the unexpected.tdb file does not exist, and I don't know
where
to get it or whether it is important!

TEST 5:
-------
"nmblookup -B ACLIENT '*'"
Successfully return the IP address, but also returned the same error lines
as test 4.

TEST 6:
-------
"nmblookup -d 2 '*'"
Error lines from Test 4 +
name_query failed to find name *

TEST 7:
-------
"smbclient //BIGSERVER/TMP"
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[PMW] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.3a]

TEST 8:
-------
"net view \\BIGSERVER"

TEST 9:
--------
"net use x: \\BIGSERVER\TMP"

TEST 10:
--------
"nmblookup -M PMW"
tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file
/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory
name_query failed to find name PMW#1d

TEST 11:
--------