[Samba] Cross-subnet browsing

Con Harte sysadmin at gfm.co.uk
Wed May 29 04:26:05 GMT 2002

Possibly someone somewhere can help with this...

I am in the process of moving our companies major
network from a switched and shared network, to a
routed and switched network.

At the moment we are in a very hybrid state which
is likely to continue for some time.  I will try to
explain what we have.
--cut--
I did try writing an explanation but couldn't keep it
brief. If someone thinks they can help I'll be happy
to give you further details.

The LMB for one of our routed networks doesn't seem to
be collecting the browse list from our DMB (also PDC).

Also we seem to be getting entries in nmbd's log to say
that the LMBs of these remote nets are claiming that they
are LMB of the local net.  They _are_ LMBs but of _their_
Local net.  So why is nmbd then having elections on the local
net.

If you think you can follow the following log snippet, (it's
easier to follow that the above!) then maybe you can help.

I've over a hundred PC users going mental at the moment so
any ideas whether tried already or not are more than welcome.

Here's the log....

process_local_master_announce: Server LISA at IP 192.168.10.130 is
announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup GFMNET
and we think we are master. Forcing election.
unbecome_local_master_browser: unbecoming local master for workgroup GFMNET
on subnet 10.0.0.3
*****

Samba name server GFMNET01 has stopped being a local master browser for
workgroup GFMNET on subnet 10.0.0.3

*****
send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup GFMNET on subnet
10.0.0.3
send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup GFMNET on subnet
10.0.0.3
send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup GFMNET on subnet
10.0.0.3
send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup GFMNET on subnet
10.0.0.3
send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup GFMNET on subnet
10.0.0.3
run_elections: >>> Won election for workgroup GFMNET on subnet 10.0.0.3 <<<
become_local_master_browser: Starting to become a master browser for
workgroup GFMNET on subnet 10.0.0.3
*****

Samba name server GFMNET01 is now a local master browser for workgroup
GFMNET on subnet 10.0.0.3

*****
Many thanks.

Con Harte.