[Samba] Re: Problems compiling Samba 2.2.4 with quota under Debian stable

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Wed May 29 02:21:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 04:23:05PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Ok I see. What alternative do you propose for Samba ? Should
> we just disable quota support on Linux and tell people to use
> an OS with real quota support ? This would not be good for many
> of our users.

That's one option - you'll just get a bunch of screaming users..
The other option would be to just copy the quota headers from the
Linux quota package instead of relying on changing kernels.

> > I'm so sick of these apps including kernel headers, we should just
> > disallow it in 2.5 completly.
>
> Sounds good to me. So do you recommend Samba users requiring quota
> support migrate to FreeBSD, OS/X, Solaris, IRIX or HPUX (all of
> which provide quota support without having to include kernel header
> files :-) :-) ?

At least on FreeBSD you actually have to include a kernel header.
But as FreeBSD only supports UFS quotas adn doesn't try to support
multiple kernel interfazce versions with the same userspace binaries
it's a rather different issue.

Fixing Samba is of course another option, but maybe a large-scale
migration is in fact easier.. 8)