[Samba] !!! HELP !!! samba and win95

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Wed May 29 02:08:02 GMT 2002

>From: "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org>
>To: "Cates, Brett" <BrettC at campbellhealth.net>
>Cc: "'Cristian Mijea'" <cmijea at protvcluj.ro>, <samba at lists.samba.org>
>Subject: RE: [Samba] !!! HELP !!!  samba and win95
>
>On Wed, 22 May 2002, Cates, Brett wrote:
>
>> It probably has something to do with the fact Win 95 doesn't support
>> encrypted passwords...
>
>Sorry Brett, but this is wrong.   All version of MS os's support
>password encryption.  See the mainling archives for long
>drawn out explanations.  We've ben here before :-)

Indeed. The DOS Client (MS Client 3.0) when loaded in Basic Redirector
mode, seems to support _only_ encrypted passwords!  You have to load the
Full Redirector to get clear-text password support.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)