[Samba] Shared dir permissions problems

Jonathan Clark jr.clark at qut.edu.au
Wed May 29 01:59:02 GMT 2002

Hi everyone,

We are having a ticklish problem with permissions on the swap, and other
shared directories on our new server... (Samba 2.2.3a domain server with
W2KPro clients.)

We set up a number of directories in home which are subsequently mapped on
the W2K clients.

The shared directories are where the problem is. It seems that when a file
is created, then the only user that can edit the file is the original
creator. This seems logical for a swap space where users can copy files
from but not save over them.

But... we want files to be able to be opened, edited and then saved again
by any users (who have access to those directories) - not just the original
creator. An example is an Access database that needs to be accessed by all
members of the 'staff'' group.

I am thinking it is a setting in the samba conf file. Any leads would be
very much appreciated.

We had a look through the recent archives and found some items hinting at
the issue - but I am having trouble matching this with our situation.

Cheers, and TIA,
Jonathan Clark
---------
Jonathan Clark
Associate Lecturer - QUT-Kelvin Grove - School of Mathematics, Science and
Technology
ACCE Professional Associate
Try canoeing - it's good for you: www.teachers.ash.org.au/jclark/bc

Remember: A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!