[Samba] Print drivers and Windows2000 clients...

Steven S. Macfarlane steven at grandypratt.com
Tue May 28 21:24:02 GMT 2002

Greetings,

We are running Samba 2.2.0a on Slackware 8.0 w/2.2.19 kernel with a mix of
Windows 98SE and Windows2000 Pro clients (about 60 98SE clients and 10 Win2k
Pro clients).  We aspire for this box to be a fax server using Hylafax 4.1.2
and smbfax 1.4.  Everything works fine for the Win98SE clients using the HP
IIP PS Cartridge printer driver from the 'Add Printer' wizard from Windows.
The trouble is with the Windows 2000 Professional clients -- when we go to
add the printer, choose 'Network Printer' we get an error: "No printer
drivers are installed for your printer.." message.  We can get around this
using the "Printer Driver" option = "HP LaserJet IIP PS Cartridge 52" (Or
somesuch entry) but needless to say this pretty much screws the 98SE
clients.  This cannot be to difficult to solve but sometimes my resolve to
be an idiot exceeds my capacity for understanding or even my capacity to
believe what my eyes see.  Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Warm regards,

Steven

[fax]
	comment = GrBLAH PBLAHt Fax Printer
	path = /tmp
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	postscript = Yes
	printing = lprng
	print command = /usr/local/smbfax/smbfax -r queue %u %s
	lpq command = /usr/local/smbfax/smbfax show
	lprm command = /usr/local/smbfax/smbfax dequeue %j
	queuepause command = /bin/true
	queueresume command = /bin/true
	printer name = GP's Fax Server