[Samba] Re: Problems compiling Samba 2.2.4 with quota under Debian stable

Nathan Scott nathans at sgi.com
Tue May 28 15:56:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 12:59:33PM +0200, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
> Hi there,

hey Ralf.

> sorry for being semi-off-topic, but since this has at least *soemthing* to do
> with XFS I hope you forgive me. :-)
>
> I'm trying to compile Samba 2.2.4 under Debian 2.2 (stable). I'm running a
> kernel compiled from yesterday's XFS 2.4.18 kernel source (I'm mentioning this
> because the XFS header version may be important WRT to my problem.) I also
> compiled and installed the attr and acl packages from the above source tree.
>
> My configure statement looks like this:
>
>                 ./configure \
>                 --host=$(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE) \
>                 --build=$(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE) \
>                 --with-fhs \
>                 --prefix=/usr \
>                 --sysconfdir=/etc \
>                 --with-privatedir=/etc/samba \
>                 --localstatedir=/var \
>                 --with-netatalk \
>                 --with-smbmount \
>                 --with-pam \
>                 --with-syslog \
>                 --with-sambabook \
>                 --with-utmp \
>                 --with-readline \
>                 --with-pam_smbpass \
>                 --with-libsmbclient \
>                 --with-winbind \
>                 --with-automount \
>                 --with-quotas \
>                 --with-ssl \
>                 --with-acl-support \
>                 --with-msdfs
>
> When I run "debian/rules binary" I get this error:
>
> Compiling smbd/quotas.c
> smbd/quotas.c: In function `get_smb_linux_vfs_quota':
> smbd/quotas.c:111: storage size of `D' isn't known
> make[1]: *** [smbd/quotas.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/samba-2.2.4/source'
> make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
>
> Obviously this is the offending source fragment:
>
> #ifdef LINUX_QUOTAS_1
>         struct dqblk D;
>
> It seems as if "struct dqblk" isn't defined. Why is this?
>
> My kernel config WRT to quota configuration looks like this:
>
> CONFIG_QUOTA=y
> # CONFIG_QFMT_V1 is not set
> CONFIG_QFMT_V2=m
> # CONFIG_QIFACE_COMPAT is not set
>
> I don't understand why "configure" seems to mistakenly think I wanted to use
> the old (v1) quota interface.
>
> Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Known problem, with no fix yet AFAIK.  It is not really related to
XFS at all, you're tripping it in XFS because we include some quite
recent quota patches in the XFS CVS trees (ie. the patches that've
just recently gone into 2.5.17) -  you will find that you can no
longer build Samba with quota enabled if you have Linus' current
2.5 headers below /usr/include/linux also.

This is a problem which needs to be fixed in Samba sources, they'll
need to have a local quota header file, rather than using the ones
below /usr/include/linux -- I'm not sure if Jan is planning to fix
this soon, I know he's heavily involved with generating 2.5 patches
at the moment.  I'm preoccupied too, but could give hints to anyone
who wants to take a crack at fixing this.

cheers.

--
Nathan