[Samba] query_name_response error

Simoncini, Matthew Matthew.Simoncini at bsci.com
Tue May 28 12:23:05 GMT 2002

Hello,

I've looked through multiple mailing list archives and cannot find an answer
to this problem, but have found many others who are having the same problem.
I hope this list can help.

I have a Solaris 2.7 server running Samba 2.0.5 with multiple interfaces:

hme0:	172.17.5.56	public
qfe0:	172.18.30.36	backup network
qfe1:	192.168.30.36	private
qfe3:	172.18.10.36	private

I have Samba running so that our application folks can access there "home
directories" by mapping the Unix directories from Windows clients.
Everything works dandy and the users don't have any problems. My problem is
my messages log fills up with the following messages:

May 28 11:10:21 coleman nmbd[1077]:  query_name_response: Multiple (2)
response was from IP 172.17.5.117.

I understand that the message has something to do with the multiple
interfaces on my Solaris box, but I'm really interested in getting this to
stop. I know that I'm not running the latest version of Samba on this
server, but I've seen the same error posted from people that are using Samba
2.2.2. Does anyone know how to either stop this message from appearing or
how to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew