[Samba] Talking on different networks.

Anders Norrbring anders at norrbring.biz
Sun May 26 12:02:02 GMT 2002

I'm not sure if this even SHOULD work. I can't find anything really
useful in the documentation.

I have a RedHat 7.3 system in the DMZ of our network, its address is
192.168.222.10, broadcast address is 192.168.222.255

I firewall, linux based with 3 ports, the 192.168.222.0 net (DMZ), the
"outside world" on one port and the internal network is 192.168.111.0,
broadcasting on 192.168.111.255.

So, on the internal network are Windows XP workstations, these can
"search computers" and find the linux on the DMZ by name, they can
connect to it if given the network address or name (the name - network
address translation is done in the Windows' hosts files) and also browse
the samba shares.

BUT. Here's the problem.  The linux (Samba) server never shows up in the
Windows' Network neighbourhood, which would be very good for those who
aren't too familiar with networking.  Can anyone please help me out
here?

Thank you,

Anders.